SOVEREIGN OF SPEED – 2019 Bay Colt by Lord Nelson out of New Key (Majestic Perfection) – Kentucky Bred
Sovereign of Speed is a beautifully balanced colt by one of the greatest sprinters in the sport, LORD NELSON. A spectacular multiple grade one-winning sprinter, Lord Nelson ran the fastest ever electronically-timed six furlongs in the history of racing at Del Mar when capturing the Bing Crosby Stakes. Having twice broken the 1:08 barrier for six furlongs, Lord Nelson ranks as the fastest son of sire of sires, Pulpit and his first crop of runners are just hitting the track in the spring of 2021.
This colt has the looks, physique and talent to be a success on the race track. He has a beautiful way of moving and he displayed that by working a 1/4 mile in :22 flat at the recently concluded Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Two-Year-Old in training sale, tying for the 3rd fastest time of the sale at that distance!
Some highlights for Lord Nelson:
- Record-setting three-time G1 winner by industry-shaping sire of sires PULPIT
- One of 3 sprinters last decade to win 3 G1 races in a single year, along with Eclipse champions Runhappy & Mitole.
- One of the fastest sprinters in recent history: Six-furlong stakes record in 1:07.65 winning the 73-year-old Bing Crosby (G1) at Del Mar — just .05 seconds off the track record and the fastest of the modern era since electronic timing.
- Won the seven-furlong Triple Bend (G1) at Santa Anita in 1:21 flat.
- Three straight G1 wins in 2016, capped off with a dominant performance in the Santa Anita Sprint Championship (G1) — The ONLY sprinter last decade to record 3 consecutive G1 victories.
- Stakes winner at 2, 3 & 4: First or second in seven of eight sprint starts — six in Graded stakes.
- Dam is out of champion MISS LINDA (ARG); 3rd dam produced two champions, three Graded SWs and is the granddam of G1 winner CARINA MIA & multiple G1 winner MISS MATCH (ARG).
- 107 Beyer Speed, 1 Ragozin (twice) — Pulpit’s fastest son at stud.
- “Resonant of Pulpit’s premier son Tapit, who is inbred 3×4 to Mr. P. In Lord Nelson, however, the patriarch’s trademark speed came through with exceptional purity. A charismatic horse, all round, physique included.”
—Chris McGrath, TDN
On the Dam side, Sovereign of Speed comes from a family of talented runners like Grade I winner FRIENDLY MICHELLE ($404,544), Grade II winner KATHMANBLU ($584,327) & Grade II winner MS LOCUST POINT ($675,975) as well as 14 time-winner & multiple stakes winner COMPLETE ENDEAVOR ($329,716) and 17 time winner & multiple stakes winner MR. BUFF ($1,388,356). There are a plethora of other stakes winners and earners in the pedigree. Click on the Pedigree button for complete details.
Sovereign of Speed is in training at Arlington Park. He will continue his preparatory training there as a he prepares for a hopeful 2 year-old debut in the summer of 2020 at Arlington Park or Churchill Downs. He will be trained by rising-star young trainer, Christopher Davis.
He’ll spend the summer of 2021 at Arlington Park (future summers will be in Kentucky or Florida) and fall in Kentucky from where he will also be able to conveniently run at other tracks when & where appropriate. Winters will be spent based in Florida where he can run at Gulfstream Park and Tampa Bay Downs or in New Orleans at Fair Grounds Race Course.